CHN Daily Scan
The Daily Scan: Former Calgary Flames captain making history, NHL teams handing out big contracts
Former Calgary Flames defenceman Mark Giordano got his first win as captain of the Seattle Kraken Thursday night. And current Flames blueliner Chris Tanev’s brother had a big role in that historical victory with a couple of goals. Meanwhile, there has been a suspension to someone on the Colorado Avalanche not named Nazem Kadri, a Detroit Red Wings player making news again, and a lot of money being tossed at NHL defencemen.
– Giordano was a rock in the dying seconds of the Kraken win, blocking shots and keeping things calm. It probably can’t be said enough how much the Calgary Flames miss his presence on and off the ice. The Kraken posted a great insider video of the room after their first ever victory.
Do the Avalanche have a new bad boy?
– Colorado Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog’s hit on Chicago Blackhawks centre Kirby Dach earned him a two-game suspension. Colorado Hockey Now’s Adrian Dater breaks down the play. This might be particularly of interest to Calgary Flames fans who remember Landeskog’s last suspension for cross-checking Matthew Tkachuk in the neck in 2017.
– Detroit Red Wings winger Tyler Bertuzzi made a splash for something other than his stance on vaccinations with four goals in his first game since January 30. He became just the ninth NHLer to net four or more in a season opener. Our friends at THN can tell you more about the other active player on that list.
NHL teams opening wallets for defencemen
– Charlie McAvoy is the latest NHL defenceman to cash in on a massive long-term deal, which happens to be the biggest in Boston Bruins history. It’s been a bustling 24 hours for blueliner bargaining. The Nashville Predators also locked up Mattias Ekholm to a four-year deal, while the New York Islanders secured Ryan Pulock’s services for eight more years.
– Matthew Tkachuk’s brother Brady got his huge payday to stick around with the Ottawa Senators for another seven years. Will big brother follow suit with the Calgary Flames?
– Covering the Kraken/Canucks rivalry, the Olympics and the COVID cloud, Vancouver Hockey Now’s Rob Simpson hosted a great chat with NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly on Zoom.
Read Calgary Hockey Now for your Calgary Flames and NHL coverage. One subscription will grant you access to all Canada Hockey Now sites: Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal.
For a limited time, use the coupon code Flames and get a year for just $29.99.